Thursday, December 5, 2013

Rengo

In our last study group meeting, we decided to play Rengo. I was reluctant at first, but since we would play while eating pizza and having some beer, I thought it would be fun to try it out. I was expecting a fast paced game, but boy was I wrong. The game lasted about 2 hours, and ended up in one huge battle that determined the winner.
We were behind in territory, and our only hope was to invade our opponents territory and make sabaki. In the end we lost, so close of making that second eye... I tried to distract my opponent showing sighs of despair, and walking around, in the hope that my partner would know how to follow the underlying tesuji that gave us life, but my opponent smelled something strange and discovered what would have cost them the game.
I was accused (in a friendly way, of course) of being light-headed by my partner. In all honesty he was right, I never thought it would turn out such an intense game, so I played out some novel moves I would never dare to play when playing alone.
We're certainly gonna give it another chance on our next meeting. I highly recommend it.


2 comments:

  1. It is not a study group. Don't lie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome experience! I'm glad to hear that you were trying out novel moves during the game. Though obviously you were surprised at how intense the game ended up becoming, I think it's one of the key things to getting stronger in go. =) Glad to see that you have friends who will play rengo with you!

    ReplyDelete